Procedure for the deposit of AMC/WAW archive collections in Wales
A key objective of Archif Menywod Cymru / Women’s Archive Wales is to identify, rescue and preserve materials relevant to women’s lives, past, present and future. This is to be achieved through the active collecting of relevant records, and arranging for their deposit in an appropriate recognised repository. The scheme here described, with the forms and terms of deposit attached, has been accepted by the organizations forming the Archives and Records Council Wales (ARCW), which includes all local authority Record Offices, several university and national institutions, all of which have professionally qualified staff.
The principle of the deposit scheme is that collections are offered to Archif Menywod Cymru / Women’s Archive Wales, which directs them to an appropriate repository. The appropriate repository will be that with the closest links, geographically or thematically, with the creator of the collection. The choice of repository will be made in consultation with the owner of the records and the AMC/WAW Adviser and the repository concerned.
The physical transfer of collections can be directly between the owner and the agreed repository, or via the AMC/WAW Committee, or via the AMC/WAW Archive Advisor, as appropriate. The collections will be administered by the repository, which will acknowledge receipt, and hold the collection under the title of Archif Menywod Cymru / Women’s Archive Wales. Thus a virtual collection will be established, physically dispersed, but held under the name of Archif Menywod Cymru / Women’s Archive Wales and accessioned by the AMC/WAW for their records.
The Original Owner (Donor) will:
- Receive a copy of the relevant repository’s Collecting Policy and Terms of Deposit, and advice as to how to deposit the material.
- Deliver, or otherwise pass, the material to the repository.
- Receive acknowledgement of receipt of the collection, including the Repository’s reference number assigned to the collection.
Archives Adviser (Glamorgan Archives) will:
- Discuss offered deposits with the appropriate repository
- Resolve all queries as to location of collections
- Issue letter of acknowledgement and Terms of Deposit to the Donor, who will sign and return the attached slip
- Co-ordinate paperwork for deposits in all repositories in Wales and supply AMC/WAW with copies on a quarterly basis
Archif Menywod Cymru / Women’s Archive Wales (the Depositor) will:
- The Chair of AMC/WAW will sign receipts as depositor
- Collections of printed books will be referred to Sian Williams, Librarian, South Wales Miners Library
- Collections of artifacts will be referred to an appropriate person
The Repository will:
- Acknowledge receipt of the collection to the Depositor, the Donor and Archives Advisor.
- Accession collections received through AMC/WAW as part of the Archif Menywod Cymru / Women’s Archive Wales collection.
- Issue a copy of the detailed record of the collection, listing all items, to AMC /WAW. Copies of this record to be available to researchers at the repository’s search room and to the National Register of Archives, and placed on the repository’s database and/or Archifau Cymru/Archives Wales